My plan is consists of getting more parent involvment in the classroom. The school is a low income school, and does not have any parent involvement besides with Halloween. The teacher explained that many families are a duel income and both parents work. I am trying to get the parents involved with rearranging their whole schedule. The school does do a literacy night, but the parents only show up if they have prizes and snacks. I want to target those parents that may only be free in the morning before school. Anyone have any ideas on how I many engage them? I was thinking tutoring, but then decided against it with possibly the lack of teacher supervision.
I also was going to write a letter to the super intendent about my plan, and what I hope to accomplish with it. Is there anyone that I should write and inform of my plan in your eyes?
Wow ya, parent involvement always seems to be a tough one and something that seems like when we try they only come because of free food and snacks. I wish there was a magic thing that made all parents interested in thier kids school lives and wanted to be involved and set time aside to come to activities like this. I've heard at a conference a lady talking about planning family nights. Almost like how we do the kids..."trick" them into learning. By making it fun and interesting the kids jump into our projects and learn while they have fun. So manybe the free food and prizes never go away but we include literacy, tutoring support, resources for parents, and post their kids work to get them asking questions and involved? Just a thought. I think if you are going to have other teacher help with that they would be ones you could share that letter with too. Showing how much it means to you and your ideas behind it.
ReplyDeleteGetting parents involve is a very tuff task. Unfortunately, a lot of parents work or are only encourage by what kind food is going to be at the meeting. This can become challenging. I have learned from experience that even though parents come for the food you can change their views and help them become active involve parents. I would suggest to keep reaching out this may be through a note, letter, or even a phone call. Remember parents can be involved without always being physically at the school. I would also suggest sharing resources with the parents. This may be information about upcoming school events, guest speakers or workshops, list of recommend children literature books, share and discuss sessions. Another suggestion will be getting parents to volunteer for classroom activities, or school events to help their child gain two or three extra credit points. It is important that in the process of getting parents involves, that you be patient, continually provide encouragement, and recognize parents for their efforts.
ReplyDeleteI think you have picked a great advocacy plan and it is definately important that parents get involved in their child's education. I think that when both parents work maybe for special events to get them there it needs to be done at night to accomodate our families better. Good luck in your presentation
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the comments!
ReplyDeletecmahoney23 thanks for your comments on my blog and good luck with your future endeavors as a teacher and advocate.
ReplyDelete